We have restored this 1965 Honda Superhawk for a collector in Tennessee. It came with 160 lbs. of compression, no engine smoke; no bad noises so we rebuilt the clutch, replaced the seals, rebuilt the carburetors and petcock, replaced the drive chain and sprockets, and performed a major tune. We had a pair of original equipment stainless mufflers which needed a slight welded repair and buffing. The headers were decarboned @ 950F and rechromed.
Paint and finish: The frame was completely stripped, sandblasted and powder coated black including the swing arm, center stand, fork lowers, and triple tree in gloss black. All the finished panels were painted black urethane with clear urethane top coat on tank, upper fork trim, headlight bucket, shocks, tool box, tail light housing, etc. The fenders and side covers were painted Honda Cloud Silver with low gloss urethane clear. The preparation included sandblasting to bare metal, high quality epoxy primers, hardened surfacers, and hardened top coats. The cured paint panels were color sanded and polished to show quality. All chrome pieces were rechromed to new quality unless original chrome was outstanding quality. All aluminum was stripped, sanded, and polished to a high quality luster.
Brakes, rims, spokes, suspension, tires: The front forks were completely disassembled, cleaned, tested for true, new fork seals installed with fresh Honda fork oil, steering head bearings were cleaned, inspected and installed with fresh lithium grease, the swing arm bushes, pivots, and dustcovers were cleaned, inspected and reused/replaced as needed, new low original style handlebar was installed with new grips, new original style mirrors, new or excellent used cables and levers, the useless rear shocks were replaced with new Hagon 335mm [1” longer than stock] with spring rate for a 190 lb. rider along with ¾” center stand extension. Rims were original good condition and trued, tires are 2:75 – 18 Michelin with new tube on front, 3:00 – 18 with new tube on rear. Brake shoes were serviced/replaced as needed. The speedo/tacho was tested for function and the oilite bronze bushings were lubricated.
The seat is a newly rebuilt high front-style seat with new foam and high quality seat cover from Bangkok.
The bike has rearset controls for both sides.
Electrics: All electrical systems were tested and replaced/repaired as needed. That includes main wire loom, solid state ignition, charging rate, spark plugs and wires, short/open circuits, failed grounds, horn, lighting, and switches. Ignition timing was set for static and full advance with inductive timing light. Battery is new AGM with charger pigtail.